North Central Community Action Program, Inc.
Community Action Programs were founded in 1965 as part of Lyndon Johnson's War on Poverty Initiatives. Community Action agencies serve 96% of the counties across the United States. Each agency is a locally-controlled organization designed to respond to the specific human service needs of that community. As a result, every Community Action agency boasts different programs based on local needs.
We believe there are five things that set North Central CAP apart from other programs:
1. We secure and invest resources to fight poverty in Wood, Marathon, Langlade (weatherization only), and Lincoln Counties. Each year, we invest approximately $4 million in the communities we serve.
2. We are a 100% local and independent organization, with entirely local leadership who are focused on our communities' unique local challenges. No national parent organization sets our agenda.
3. We help people by empowering them with opportunities to help themselves; focusing on long-term benefits, not quick fixes.
4. We provide people and our communities with solutions to a wide spectrum of poverty problems, rather than focus on one single issue. To achieve this, we offer several programs in the Counties we serve.
5. By reducing poverty's negative impacts, which affect us all, we make our communities a better place to live for every person in them.